You love fonts, admit it. But sometimes they can be overwhelming. Does this one work with that one? What’s the best choice for journaling? Or titles? Or pocket page cards? How do I make them look amazing on my layouts? Enter Ten Tips for Better Type to the rescue!
Typography has some distinct rules. Learning the basics about how to use fonts with style and finesse can help you every time you sit down at a computer to make choices for your memory keeping projects.
This class will give you a practical overview of type. Think of it as Fonts 101. Through video lectures and practical, hands-on assignments, we’ll explore what I believe to be the top tips for understanding how to use type effectively on your scrapbook pages or other projects.
This class is not about throwing a crap ton of fonts onto a page and calling it a day. It IS about understanding structure and style and learning to make decisions like a typographic pro.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to choose the best journaling fonts and how to spec proper size and leading
- Why only one space after a period is the only way to typeset journaling blocks
- How to properly align your type for maximum readability
- Why line lengths is an important factor in design
- How to keep font choices simple
- Tips for combining different types of fonts
- Why classic fonts never go out of style
- How space factors into designing with type
- How to set your own custom titles and journal blocks
- How to design your own 3 x 4 word art cards, including a mini subway art style card and offset registration effect card
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- Three CZ Design base templates for working on class assignments
- Just over 1.5 hours of video lecture/tutorials
- Instruction on core typography principles with universal application
- Numerous examples from Cathy’s personal scrapbook albums
- Access to the Ten Tips for Better Type Facebook Community
- Email access to me for any questions you may have
- Photoshop Elements (V7 or higher)
- A computer
- Cardstock, patterned paper and embellishments of your choice
BUT WHAT IF…
I have a full version of Photoshop? You can still take this class! The processes are virtually the same and you can email me with any questions if you get stuck. I will be teaching the class using PSE 13. You can download a 30-day free trial of PSE here.
You’ll create two 8.5 x 11 hybrid layouts (which you can mount onto 12 x 12 backgrounds upon completion if you like) and three 3 x 4 word art card projects in this class.
Ten Tips for Better Type